May 24, 2016

Faux-carb Alfredo Sauce

I used to make a killer alfredo sauce years ago.... flour and butter to make a roux with garlic infused milk and cream added and cooked till thick.  Lastly, some fresh Parmesan cheese added.
It was delicious and took some time to make just perfectly.

But those carbs.  They are not so friendly to me and my health, so I look to alternatives.

This is where I like to think out of the box and consider ways to add more nutrition.
I want creamy and delicious, but healthy is a must
.
This is where a puree comes in.
I use a cauliflower puree in my Cheesy Burger Soup and a beet one in my Trim Healthy Pancakes Made With Love, but I often use them in other foods.  I started adding an okra puree to my Lighter Side of Chili.

Purees are great because you can add nutrition and depth to the dish with little mess or fuss in a fairly inexpensive way.  A cup or 2 of frozen veggies might cost 50 cents, and stretched out over the whole recipe adds more than a dime of benefit..

The key is to make sure you season any puree well.  Remember it isn't the star of the show, but a supporting player.  Cauliflower won't bring what flour and butter will so you must compensate to make it work.


I make my puree in my Blendtec using the Wildside jar.   It is great at getting foods very smooth and blended.  It's hard to fake people out when there are pieces of cauliflower in a sauce, you know?


Faux-carb Alfredo Sauce-S
makes about 2 cups/1 'jar'

1 cup of half and half
4 cloves of garlic
8 oz frozen cauliflower
1 oz parmesan cheese
2 oz low fat cream cheese
Salt to taste

Infuse the garlic into the half and half by putting them in a saucepan over low heat for about 10-15 minutes.  I do this so that the garlic doesn't have an overwhelming, raw taste.
Add the cauliflower, parmesan cheese, and cream cheese to the blender jar.  Slowly pour the half and half over the top, secure the lid and process till very smooth.
Return the sauce to the pan, add the salt to taste, and heat on low till warmed.

Use or refrigerate for up to a week.

I served it over Dreamfield's pasta with poached salmon and a side salad.






No comments: