January 24, 2014

Cheesy Burger Soup-S

It's cold.  Like really cold.
I don't want to go out.  I don't really want to do much of anything right now.  I just want to stay warm and cozy.
But the people in my house seem to want food regularly.  It's one of those things your realize when you stay at home full time that somehow surprises me?
People, especially small people, like to have regularly scheduled meals that include more than spinach dip and crackers.

The cold weather often makes me want to cave and just resort to comfort foods like potatoes and grains, but I know that I need to keep my focus on health and nutrition.
I'm also looking at what is quick and easy with ingredients I have on hand.  Our pantry stock is always unique to each of our families, but I think that somethings like onions, ground meat and cheese are always things that we tend to have on hand in most homes.
Burgers and cabbage are a staple here, but today I wanted something different.  Something warm, creamy and hearty.
My mother sent me a recipe for crockpot cheeseburger soup.  I had made a version once that was filled with all kinds of yummy things.  By yummy things I am talking about potatoes.
Potatoes aren't going to help me maintain weightloss, and I don't have the time for cooking slow.

This soup is hearty, creamy and delicious, but allows you to stay on THM with a Satisfying, S, meal.  It also hides a veggie and while their are no chunks of potato, you still get the richness that they would add.

Cheesy Burger Soup-S

1-2 pounds of ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 tsp garlic powder or a clove of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp smoky paprika
salt
pepper
2 cups beef broth (mine is a thick, gelatinous,concentrated homemade version so I added the extra water to compensate.  If you are using store bought, you might want to use 4 cups and skip the water)
2 cups water
1 cup half and half
1 cup cauliflower puree
8 oz cheddar

Brown the ground beef in a large pot.
Meanwhile, make your cauliflower puree, if needed.  I use frozen cauliflower that I defrost and puree with a bit of half and half in the blender.
Drain any fat from the meat and add the onions, celery, garlic and spices.  Cook for a few minutes on medium heat till the onions are translucent.
Add the broth/water and half and half.  Add the cauliflower puree.
Stir to combine.
Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
Add the shredded cheddar and stir and allow to melt over about 5 minutes and low heat.
Serve in bowls with additional cheddar shredded on top.

This goes nicely with a salad and some bread.
Check out other THM friendly recipes at Gwen's Nest for Trim, Healthy Tuesday.



7 comments:

Sarah K said...

Smoked paprika. Yes. That's love for a family right there.

Gwen said...

This looks SO good! Making it tonight.

Anonymous said...

Would this freeze well? If not I will have to half it.

Dawn @OhSweetMercy said...

Just what I was looking for! I've got some chicken stock simmering in the stove so I will use that. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I made this for supper tonight. We enjoyed it a lot with some gluten free Red
lobster copycat biscuits.

Unknown said...

Can I ask what the nutritional information is for this? Calories, etc. Thank you!

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

Thank you for this recipe- I also put out a bowl of deli sliced pepperoncinis for my spicy lovers to sprinkle on their bowls- such a hit! <3