February 11, 2014

Trim, Healthy Pancakes Made with Love (also known as Beets!)-E

When ever my kids, or anyone actually, ask what is that taste they just can't quite place in the food I make, I usually respond that it is the love that they are tasting.
Love can be lots of things.... usually a little pinch of a spice or of a seasoning, but sometimes it is something really special.
Something like a puree made from beets!

But beets!  Those are gross!  I hate beets!  (I can hear you saying that, you know).
Consider that beets are a veggie with God-given nutrition and they also give you a lovely pink color, and given a little love, you really won't even taste them, but can just say that it is just the love you are getting.

Eventually I'll post how I store beets, but today I'll just say that I have an almost endless supply in my freezer. To make these pancakes you need a steamed or lightly cooked beet.

The secret here is to add a flavor extract to help disguise the overt flavor of the beets if you are not a big fan or are trying to convert your kids.
Cherry extract (and I found it at Walmart for about $3)  is a good one to use, and while it will smell like a bad cough drop while you are mixing them, the flavor and smell is developed and enhanced after cooking as it is with most extracts.  I will add that there are very few extracts I enjoy in an uncooked capacity, especially if it is an alcohol-based extract.  The finished product will have just a lovely hint of the cherry flavor and smell and will leave you wondering what happened to the beets?

THM:  This is an E meal as it is lowfat and has carbs.  Adding a beet does add carbs, but overall 100 gm beets or 1/2 of a large, or 1 small- average beet, is going to add a total of 9 net carbs to the overall recipe so only 1-2 carbs are added for a serving, and it is still well within E parameters.

Trim, Healthy Pancakes Made with Love(aka beets!)-E

2 cups old-fashioned, rolled oats
2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
2 cups egg whites or egg beaters
1 tsp cherry extract
1 beet, steamed or cooked in some way, then pureed
3 tsp baking powder
Toppings of your choice

Place the rolled oats in your blender and process until flour-like.  Transfer to a bowl.  This way you can keep most of the clean up confined to just the blender.

To prepare the beet: steam or boil until soft.  I admit that I tend to add a bit of liquid/water to this recipe as I find it too thick for my tastes, so the extra liquid in the beets is perfect for us.
I've tried this recipe with a thick puree and a more watery one with a couple of others in between and they all worked well.  The key is to make sure the beets are smooth so that you don't get a chunk of beet in your pancake.


Place the beet with some water or some of the cooking liquid into your blender and process until smooth.


Add the cottage cheese and egg whites.  Pulse till smooth.
Add the Cherry extract and oats, pulse to combine.  Then add the baking soda.
Allow to sit for 3-5 minutes for best results.

Cook on a griddle (remember not to add extra oil for E!).  I use a non-stick surface for these with great results.




This should make 6 servings.
Top with fruit or topping of choice.




The quick syrup shown here is some berries (strawberries, blackberries and cranberries) in some water with a dash of stevia to taste, some cherry extract brought to a boil. Add some glucomannan and stir well, reduce heat and allow to gel.
This recipe is shared as a part of Trim, Healthy Tuesday at Gwen's Nest.


1 comment:

Katherine said...

I hate beets but know they are so good for me that I will periodically try to eat them again - only to gag and toss them (thereby wasting money). I am willing to give these a try and trust you when you say I will not be able to taste them. Thank you for the recipe.