September 5, 2013

Morning Sunshine!-FP

You know I love smoothies, both green and pink, but some times I'll admit that I have a hard time making myself just have one.
You see, I'm not a natural veggie or fruit eater.
Many people know me as the person who is always on them about getting in those vegetables, but in truth, it is mainly because I know I need to hear those words myself.  It's easy to focus so much on protein and grains and treats, but vegetables really should be the core to most eating plans in my opinion.  They are what make you feel full and have so much nutrition.
But making sure I get them daily is many times a struggle.

So I'll admit that I've been in a veggie funk lately.  Nothing seems good, everything tastes the same or I've eaten it a million times.
Smoothies even seem kind of old and tired.

And then I saw a new Trim, Healthy Mama drink on the facebook page.  I started to read the directions and they were soooo long and seemed to have so many steps......
Sorry, but this just isn't my style.
I need quick and to the point.

But the drink did inspire me.
Why not take a drink idea and make a smoothie?
Lemons?  No need to peel and cut and slice.  Cut it in half and throw it in is how it do it.  The seeds and peel and pith all have their value and that's part of why I have a Blendtec.
I will add that my Ninja handled whole citrus quite well too.

I also opened up my copy of the Green Smoothie Girl's book with a bunch of recipes and inspiration.
Inspiration is always a good thing, but I really just wanted simple with a little sour and a little bitter and a touch of sweet to take the edge off.

So often smoothie means greens or berries to people, but this one is a lovely, zingy gold.  Like a cup of sunshine.
I kept it Fuel Pull-FP but it might hint at Energizing-E due to the grapefruit, but 1/2 of a grapefruit makes an S-helper so I translate 1/4 as within parameters.  I also left out any protein as I wanted to make a large container to sip on for several hours and to have pre- and post- workout for electrolyte and mineral replacement.  Feel free to use it with or as a meal with the added protein.
I've also been craving bitter and sour lately, and my husband who loves smoothies, thought this was a little too sour for his tastes.  Adjust the seasonings for yours.

Morning Sunshine-FP

1/2 lemon, cut in half
1/4 grapefruit, cut in a few pieces (I do NOT peel my citrus or remove seeds before using as there is a lot of nutrition present, but feel free to do so if you like!)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
generous dash of Redmond RealSalt
1/2-1 tsp coconut oil
Dash of NuNaturals Pure, or a comparable stevia
1 quart filtered water
1 cup ice

Combine all in your Blendtec, or other high powered blender, and mix on Whole Juice setting or until liquified.


This smoothie is the perfect base for customizing.  Add in berries or other fruits and veggies as you have them around.
My favorite is to add in a handful of blueberries, but while you'd think yellow+blue = green, this makes a nice rosy-pink drink.


This post is shared at Stacy Makes Cents and Gwen's Nest for Trim, Healthy Tuesday.  Check her out for more great THM links!

6 comments:

Gwen said...

I also love sour...looks yummy!

Thanks for linking up, Kimi. :)

Stacy said...

My Mama would LOVE this!!! I hate grapefruit, but apparently I'm the only one in my family who does. And I love that my Blendtec can eat anything - including plastic spoons. Thanks for linking this up at Trim Healthy Tuesday!
~Stacy @ Stacy Makes Cents

Leah said...

Do you peel the grapefruit and kemon first?

See the Blue Sky said...

I do not peel the citrus before using as there is a lot of nutrition and benefit present in the peel. Feel free to do so if you like though!

Helen Sullivan said...

Can I used a juicer instead?

See the Blue Sky said...

You can use a juicer but you do lose out on some of the benefits of the citrus. But overall, should be good!