November 11, 2013

Turkey Confetti Quinoa- E

I've been looking back through some of my recipes here and I realize that most fall into the quick and easy category.  This seems odd to me as it feels like I spend a decent portion of my day making meals.
I do not consider myself a purist when it comes to food, but I do usually cook meals and don't take shortcuts on a daily basis.
This recipe takes a bit more preparation, and the actual recipe is pretty short and to the point.  Yes, there are ways to make it quicker and all that, but I figured instead of giving the convenience way, I'd show the homecook way.

This recipe is a version of a quinoa dish I used to make when I was a vegetarian.  Confetti Quinoa was featured in The New Laurel's Kitchen.  It's a great book if you just want to learn about cooking whole foods or bread, but this recipe needed a little something else to make it special and more of a meal.
I also realize that turkey leftovers will soon be here, and I thought, what better than to turkey-fy this vegan version?
I  found a couple of naturally lean turkey breasts on clearance at my store, and cooked them with a bit of water in the slow-cooker.  This was good not just for the meat which was pulled from the bone and cut  into small pieces, but it also gave me stock to use as well.
After the turkey cooked for a few hours till done, I strained the leftover liquid to use as turkey stock.  I just put it in the fridge for a bit so that any fat can be removed.  Now it can go in a variety of recipes (and if your stock congeals like gelatin when cold, then congratulations!  This just means that it contains collagen and is even more nutritious than you thought).  Homemade stock doesn't have to be hard or contain a bunch of ingredients.  It can be simple, but is still healthy and nutritious.

The first step involves cooking the quinoa.  It can be bitter so you want to make sure you rinse it well before cooking.  About 1 cup uncooked will yield 3 cups cooked.  You may use just water to cook the quinoa, but the turkey stock will add a better flavor (and more nutrition) to the final dish.







Turkey Confetti Quinoa-E

Makes 4 very generous servings with each having: Cal 276, carbs 41 grams, fat 7 grams, protein 15 grams.  6 servings and a side salad would also be a good E choice with a low-fat dressing. 

1 cup quinoa
3 cups turkey stock or water (or a combination of both)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup water chestnuts (one small can), diced
12 oz cooked turkey, diced

  • Bring stock/water to a boil and add rinsed quinoa and salt.
  • Turn to a simmer and allow to cook over med-low heat  for about 15-20 minutes.  Stir and check as needed so that it doesn't cook dry (like you would with rice).  
  • In a large skillet, heat oil over med-high heat and saute onions, red and green bell peppers, and garlic until softened (but not mushy) for about 5-10 minutes.
  • Add the cooked quinoa, cooked turkey, and water chestnuts and stir over low heat until warmed through.  
  • Taste to check seasoning and add more salt if needed.




This post is shared with Gwen's Nest for Trim, Healthy Tuesday  and Stacy Makes Cents for Centsibly Sugar and Grain Free

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I says to myself "Self, isn't quinoa a grain?" So, self had to go look...guess what? It's not. Wikipedia says " It is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal or grain.." Cool! :-)
Thanks for linking at Centsibly Sugar and Grain Free!

Gwen said...

Perfect timing with the turkey leftover ideas. :) I just cooked one tonight!
Thanks for linking up at Trim Healthy Tuesday!