July 9, 2013

Drink Pink!!!!- E

I have to admit that I am not the biggest fan of E, or Energizing meals, in the Trim, Healthy Mama way of eating.  I naturally seem to to avoid carbs and enjoy the higher fat, S/Satisfying meals more.
Even though I know that an apple or brown rice isn't nutritionally comparable to cheetos and skittles, I still have a hard time incorporating them sometimes.  This is something that I work on and have to plan.
One easy way that I've found to turn a meal from a Fuel Pull, or protein dominant with minimal carbs or fat, into an E meal is to add some good veggies and fruits.  I'm not talking massive amounts as you want to keep your carbs within limits and lower on the glycemic scale.  This is also why there are no bananas in this smoothie, and to be honest, I'm not really missing them.
A smoothie is my preferred way to get my fruits and veggies.  I stick mainly with those that are on the Fuel Pull list and then add some extra E ones.  This way I get plenty of vitamins, minerals and the all important fiber!
I will also add that smoothies are good for you.  Vegetables and fruits are good for you.  Eating the exact same ones everyday for an extended period, well, not so much?  I will admit that I was in a smoothie rut at one point and ate raw spinach daily for several weeks without adverse effects, but it is still better to mix it up and try new things.

A view from the top
Pink Smoothie- E
makes 2 servings

  • 2 cups of water
  • 1/2 cup of coconut water, mine are frozen cubes from young Thai coconuts**.  If you don't have any,or can't find it, it is fine.  Just omit.
  • 1/2 beet, fresh or frozen
  • 1 cup frozen strawberries
  • 1 whole apple, peel, core and all.  I quarter it to make blending easier
  • 1 scoop of protein powder


Add the fruits and veggies into the blender and process.  After blending, add the protein powder and pulse to mix through.
**I buy several young Thai coconuts from an International market at a time, open them and get the water and then freeze it in an ice cube tray.

This post is shared with Gwen's Nest and Stacy Makes Cents as a part of Trim, Healthy Tuesday.  Check out their sites for more THM links!

8 comments:

Gwen said...

Oh, yum! This looks really tasty, and I'm not normally a smoothie girl. :)

I love how you've found a way to convert something you enjoy and that works so well for you nutritionally into being on plan!

Anonymous said...

Kim I love your blog and it keeps me motivated. Since I don't see you every weekend any more it's the next best thing

Stacy Makes Cents said...

I love that you threw the whole apple in there. That's awesome! :-)
Thanks for linking at Trim Healthy Tuesday!

Stacy Makes Cents said...

You were featured at Trim Healthy Tuesday!!!
http://www.stacymakescents.com/chana-dal-dip

Cathy Compeau said...

Yum! I make a smoothie every morning for breakfast!

I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven't already this week. Your favorite posts, most popular, recent or new! The party is open every Thursday night and closes Tuesday's at midnight. Followed by (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/.
I would be honored if you join us and follow to stay connected Have a wonderful week!
Hugs, Cathy

medwards said...

So the scoop of protein powder provides all the protein for this smoothie?

medwards said...

So the scoop of protein powder provides all the protein for this smoothie?

See the Blue Sky said...

A scoop of protein is all you need! Depending upon your brand, I use the Swanson's, it is about 20 grams of protein per scoop. This is great as a meal replacer, or I use 1/4 to 1/2 for snacks.