July 27, 2016

Soothing Shea Lotion

I've never made a lotion or body butter before.  I tend to like proven products and certain scents, but this year has been tough on my aging skin.
I have been more active and in the sun so much this summer, more than in the past years.
When I got a jar of unrefined shea butter, I kept finding myself using it on my hands, but thought it would be fun to make something new.

This is my attempt at a body butter, but it is actually came out as more of a lotion.  It has a very rich and luscious feel that nourishes the skin.

First I made an infused oil.  I used an organic sunflower oil as my carrier and added dried calendula, chamomile and lavender to it.
Sunflower oil has hydrophilic properties and helps skin to stay hydrated.  It is rapidly absorbed on the skin and studies have found it to have anti-inflammatory and anti-aging characteristics.
Calendula has been used extensively for healing in skin trauma and wounds.  Chamomile is very soothing to the skin while lavender promotes healthy circulation.

I weigh my oils, so to make sure I had enough, I measured out a bit more of the sunflower oil than I needed and put it in a glass bowl.  Then I added some of the dried flowers.
I allowed it to steep over heat for a few hours and then strained out the herbs.
To see an example of an infused oil, check out my salve post (just don't add the beeswax).

After allowing the sunflower oil to cool a few hours, I added it to my unrefined shea butter.  Shea butter is great for rough skin and contains Vitamins A and E.
It does have a slightly nutty scent, but it isn't unpleasant.

I added some arrowroot powder and bentonite clay as well  along with a few drops of lavender essential oil.  The essential oil is part preservative while also have therapeutic values as well due to it being a plant based product and not just a scent.

Using a hand mixer, the oils and butter were carefully blended and whipped together until light and fluffy.  I tried to be careful not to overheat or overblend so I'd take breaks occasionally and check the texture.

This made about 1 cup of lotion.  I am choosing to store it in a glass container.
My skin is thanking me!

Soothing Shea Lotion
100g of unrefined Shea butter
25 g Sunflower oil infused with calendula, chamomile, and lavender
1.25 tsp arrowroot powder
1/4 tsp bentonite clay
10 drops of lavender essential oil

No comments: