January 25, 2015

Pimento Cheese

I have memories of pre-made, store bought pimento cheese that my grandmother ate everyday on white bread toast for lunch when I was a kid .  She'd have the radio on an AM gospel station and there was no air conditioning, but it was a fun time and when I started learning to cook.
Because of this though, I always equated pimento cheese with highly processed foods that older people ate in the 1970s.  It had a nostalgic ring to it, but, to me, it wasn't healthy or tasty.

Then I grew up.  I had pimento cheese at a trendy, vegetarian place for the first time a few years back, and it was delicious.  Imagine my surprise when I realized that pimento cheese could be a healthy, home made food.
It was then time to start making my own.  Who knew it was so easy and natural!

On Trim, Healthy Mama, we try to separate our fats from unhealthy carbs.
Pimento cheese is going to be a satisfying S food on THM.  You have options with pimento cheese to keep it as a part of a THM-friendly meal.
Added as a topping on a burger with a side of loaded cauliflower would be a definite S.
It would be a part of a crossover on one piece of Ezekiel bread that was toasted with half an apple.  Feel free to warm the pimento cheese on the toast!
It is great as a side with a single piece of Ezekiel bread and Just Like Campbell's Soup (pg 292 of the book) as an S-helper.  Sub a Joseph's pita for the bread and you'll have an S meal.
Pimento cheese melted on toast


Easy Pimento Cheese-S

1/4 pound cheddar cheese, shredded
1 oz pimento, diced
1/4 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp ketchup (make sure it is on plan, please!)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/3 cup mayonnaise

Mix all ingredients together.  Cover and chill until flavors blend.
I use this as 2 generous servings.

No comments: