September 14, 2014

Satisfying Salmon Supper-S

I have to admit that I have some weird habits.  If I am making a short trip to the grocery store I'll try to figure out a way to make all the items I need start with the same letter so that I don't have to write a list, but can just remember the number of things I needed to get.
Like the letter C.
That would be Cabbage, ice Cream (for the kids), Cheddar, and a Can of tuna.  Stuff like that.
My kids think it is just another layer to my oddness, but it works for me, and that is really all that matters.
My fondness for alliteration is what leads me here.  Satisfying Sockeye Salmon Supper.

Recently I found some great, local deals on fish.  Now I am the kind of person who could eat fish 3 times a day, every day.  Since my husband grew up in Alaska and did actually have fish more than he cares to remember as a kid, I reign myself in a bit as he gets tired of it.
That just means that I make fish often for our evening meal when it is just me and the kids (Mr B works 2nd shift so he isn't home).

In the South, this we call this meal supper.

Sockeye salmon is also known as red salmon.  It has a red flesh that is unique in salmon due to its diet and happens to be my favorite salmon.  When buying your fish, make sure your salmon is always wild caught (should be on the package) as farmed salmon loses out on health benefits, and also make sure that the fish wasn't treated with chemicals.  "Fish" should be the only ingredient.


Poaching is one of my new favorite ways to have salmon.  It wasn't something I had often done with fish, but had with chicken.  The THM book mentions poaching in several recipes and will also walk you thru it step by step.
I am poaching in a shallow pan, and will add that I did stay closer by to spoon the cooking liquid over the pieces that weren't fully submerged.  I think watching Food Network lately has made me more secure in my cooking(?) but the real thing is that it is just food.  As long as the fish isn't raw, and it won't be, it is all good.
The seasonings here sound more spicy than they really are.  They are not overwhelming or strong so feel free to add more if you like a bit of a kick.  I would call this flavorful, but not 'hot'.   My kids enjoyed this as well as I did.
And the left-overs warmed up quite well the next day for Mr B at work, and he enjoyed this meal.


Satifying Sockeye Salmon Supper-S

(serves about 4)

1-1/4 # wild-caught salmon, I used sockeye/red
1 can lowfat coconut milk (the kind in a can from the Asian food aisle of the grocery store)
1 tbsp red curry paste
2 cups water
salt/pepper
1 bag mixed, frozen vegetables (mine was broccoli, cauliflower and some carrots.  I didn't put any carrots in my serving, but the kids ate them).
Dreamfield's angelhair pasta (traditional pasta for the kids)

Cook the pasta according to directions on box.  Make sure you only give yourself the specified serving.

Cook the frozen veggies according to the directions on the bag for stovetop, but sub coconut milk in place of water. Be careful not to overcook as they can get mushy.



In a large skillet that is also deep, combine the remainder of the coconut milk, the red curry paste and some water (about 1 cup, more if needed ) to cover/poach the fish.

Bring this liquid to a simmer and put your salmon, thawed, into the liquid.  Cover and keep it at a simmer to allow fish to poach for about 6 minutes.  Turn the fish over if it isn't completely covered and allow to further simmer for another 6 minutes.   If your fish is submerged then just let it go for about 12-15 minutes.

Serve fish with pasta and veggies with sauce from fish spooned over top.  Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: