May 22, 2014

Fish with Quinoa.... an Energizing meal that somehow feels Satisfying

I think one of the things about E meals that gets to me is that they can feel 'diet-y'.  The thing most people love about Trim, Healthy Mama is that they can have satisfying meals and still lose weight, but to really get your metabolism going you have to add in those E meals as well.
And I also have the issue of getting stuck in ruts.  I have my go-to meals, but chicken stir fry with rice or confetti quinoa gets old after a bit.  I will often find I start to avoid E meals or will start to add crossovers which seem to soon become cheats.  Then I'm off plan and starting to gain, and that's not going to happen!

I've recently discovered red palm oil.  There's a ton of info out there on the benefits, including being nutrient dense with antioxidants.  Pages 201-202 in the THM book discuss the benefits of this oil.  I'm just not one to spend on ingredients that are foreign to me, but I came upon a great deal at Nutiva that made it worth it.

And it adds a different taste to food so it isn't the same old, same old....
And just a bit of it can make such a difference in the taste.  It doesn't take much and the 1 tablespoon for this recipe is plenty.

This is my new favorite... a wild-caught white fish with veggies and some quinoa.  There's just enough red palm oil to make it seem like a special, satisfying treat, but still maintaining E/energetic meal guidelines.  You can go even crazier with the veggies or the spices, but for my family, this was a good place.

Fish with Quinoa (E)

makes 4 servings

1 pound white fish (I actually used whiting)
1 tablespoon red palm oil
juice of 1 lemon
salt
1/2 large onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 cups of kale, remove center rib and cut into strips or pieces
cooked quinoa (3 cups total with 3/4 cup per serving)

Cook your quinoa in salted water.  I generally use 1-1/2 cups of rinsed quinoa in 4 cups of water.

Put the red palm oil in a large skillet over medium heat (I used a stainless steel and had no issues with sticking).  Add the fish right away and sprinkle top with juice from the lemon and the salt.
Allow to cook for 4 minutes on each side uncovered.

Remove the fish from the pan onto a plate and add the onion, garlic, tomatoes and ginger.  Saute for 5 minutes.  You should not need to add any additional oil.
Add the kale and wilt it with the other vegetables for 2-3 minutes, and then add the fish on top.  Allow to cook another 5 minutes over med-low heat.

Serve over quinoa and enjoy!  I find that the flavors here are somewhat sweet and mildly tangy.


No comments: