February 3, 2014

Clam Chowder-S

There are a couple of foods that I miss, that are often potato based, since starting Trim, Healthy Mama.
Right now, I've been on plan since November of 2012.  I've lost the weight and am maintaining, but I know that it is easy to spiral out of control and let one cheat become another.
It's just easier in my mind to not stray.
It's easier to see THM as an opportunity to find other, healthier options instead of caving.

Now I love clam chowder.  The issue is primarily that it contains potatoes and a roux made with white flour.
My solutions to this issue is the use of radishes in place of the starchy, white potatoes.  They are low carb and low glycemic.  My fear was that they'd be spicy as I've always had them raw.  I talked to a friend and she assured me this was not the case.  I had been assured of their perfect-potato-like character when cooked.

The next issue is the roux.  I know I could just use glucomannan powder but that goes against all things good in the world in my mind.  A roux is not something that simply thickens.  It adds a depth of flavor (and love).  Not making a roux, and by roux I mean the combination of flour with oil/fat that is browned, just goes outside of how I choose to think about food.
The glucomannan will thicken, but in more of a gel-type way, and there is no taste gained by its addition.

So instead of white flour, I am using oat flour.  I grind old-fashioned oats in my grainmill or blender, just like I do for salmon patties or as a binder in many other THM recipes that are S.
The small amount of oats shouldn't alter carb content.

I have found that there are some differences with these ingredients over the traditional ones found in a chowder.  The radishes took a bit longer to cook than potatoes.  It is usually about 20 minutes for the potatoes to cook and become tender, but it was about 30-40 minutes until the radishes reached this point.  The broth also didn't really get thick like with potatoes until the radishes reached a tender stage and then it was just lovely and perfect!  The broth did become thick, just in longer time than it would with potatoes.
And then there's the color.  It does have a pink tint, but otherwise the radishes look and taste like they could be red, Irish potatoes?

Radishes are one of the easiest and earliest things you can plant in a spring garden.  I know that I'll definitely be planting some this season.

Clam Chowder-S

1 onion, finely chopped
3 ribs celery, finely chopped
2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp oat flour
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup half and half
2 bay leaves
1 pound of radishes( 1 large bunch or 2 small), cut into cubes
2-10oz cans of minced or chopped clams


  • Heat the butter in a large pan until melted over medium-high heat.  
  • Add the onion and celery and saute till soft.
  • Stir in the oat flour and cook for 3-4 minutes.  
  • Add the stock, half and half, bay leaves, radishes and cans of clams including juice.
  • Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to med-low and lightly simmer while covered for about 30-40 minutes until the radishes are  tender.
  • Season with salt and pepper, serve hot!

Serve with a side green salad and maybe a piece of Joseph's pita with some butter, if you wish!
Visit Gwen's Nest for more Trim, Healthy Tuesdays ideas.

8 comments:

the momma said...

I have grown to LOVE radishes in the past few months! I find them to be waaay more potato-ish than cauliflower!
what if (I'm thinking here...) I know potatoes are off-plan, but, what if you used just one small potato and grated it - it would release more starch into your broth that way, to better thicken the chowder (maybe use a little less oat flour?)

See the Blue Sky said...

I may not have been clear... as the radishes cooked, the broth did become thicker like with a traditional chowder. Just not as early on like with potatoes.
~kimi

Rose AG said...

Love your chowder bowl! Looks great with the pink hew. Gotta try radishes as a potato sub. I'm sure my husband would go crazy for this chowder :)

~kristi said...

We peel our radishes so it looks like a potato. My dad would never eat a radish if he knew he was. He hasn't found out yet

Kmay74 said...

Fantastic! Once at a simmer, I put it in my crockpot on low for a couple of hours. I also added some kale and smoked salmon I had in the fridge.

Kmay74 said...

Fantastic! Once at a simmer, I put it in a crockpot for a couple of hours on low. Also, added kale and smoked salmon I had in the fridge.

Nikki Stone said...

Making this right now! SO excited! I added a dash of Old Bay to oomph up the sea flavor...
Can you tell me if you think this would freeze well? I have baby #2 slated for arrival in 1 month so I'm trying to stock the freezer with yummy, THM approved dinners and NE Clam Chowder during the PA winter sounds delish!

Nikki Stone said...

Making this RIGHT NOW! I also add Old Bay to oomph up the sea flavoring...can't wait!
Can you tell me whether you think this would freeze well? Baby #2 is slated to arrive in 1 month and I want to stock the freezer with yummy, THM foods! NE Clam Chowder during a PA winter sounds delish!