January 14, 2014

Baby Muffins

Life with toddlers is sometimes tricky.  They go through phases where they will eat the weirdest things, and the next day will look at you like you are stupid for offering the same thing to them.
It does always seem like they will eat junk, but you  don't want to reinforce poor choices.
I'm always trying to find ways to sneak in fruits and veggies and while these treats are not THM approved for grown folks, they are great for kids who need their fruits and veggies.
These are muffins, but what makes them special is the addition of fruit purees.  I got the idea after reading Deceptively Delicious.  There are many inspiring ideas to help your kids get their veggies and fruits.
This is my version of a muffin that uses both a sweet potato and banana blend.  I figured why not take something yummy, like banana bread, and add to it?
Turns out Baby Chase loves them and so does Papa Bob too!  Papa isn't on THM and needs his veggies as well.

To puree the sweet potato, I first peel and cut it into a couple of pieces that I place in a small pan of water.  Bring it to a simmer and cook till the pieces are soft enough to be cut into with a fork.  Or you could just steam in a steamer basket until soft.
Place in a blender or food processor (I find the processor easier to use) and process until smooth.  It doesn't have to be a thin puree.  I just pulse a bit to make a thick paste consistency.
A medium sweet potato should yield about 1/2 cup, roughly, of puree.  A little more or less shouldn't make much difference in the recipe.
The banana is already soft so I use about 3 for 1/2 cup of puree and either mash it with a fork or just throw it in the processor after, or with, the sweet potato.

And yes.  There is sugar in this.  For many years I used only honey, but I kind of changed my view on this.  It's a small amount, and if you like, feel free to use honey.  You'll just need to alter the dry ingredient amounts.


Baby Muffins

2 cups whole wheat flour (I use freshly ground spelt)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup sweet potato puree
1/2 cup banana puree
1/3 cup oil
1 egg
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Blend all the dry ingredients together and then add the wet ingredients and stir to incorporate.  Add chocolate chips and stir.  When using whole grains, I like to let the batter sit a bit to soak up the liquids as I find it gives a better result.
Spoon into a greased muffin, or mini-muffin, pan.  I tend to use mini-muffin size so that waste is cut down (no one bite and then it sits and becomes stale) and size is more manageable for little hands.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 12-13 minutes for mini and 15 for traditional size.
This makes 6 dozen mini and probably 2 dozen traditional size.




2 comments:

LKS said...

Look at those baby blues!

Sarah K said...

ACK! He's perfect!
I should send him Legos.