November 12, 2013

Fall Flavors Muffin-S

I'm kind of over the pumpkin-hype.  I believe it has kind of run it's course, thankfully, like most things do, but it is still fall and I want to enjoy the flavors of fall right now.

This is yet another variation of a muffin in a mug, but it is a tasty variation that I will admit is my new favorite.
A while back I splurged and got some different flavoring extracts from amazon, and I have been experimenting with them in different meals.
Since starting Trim, Healthy Mama (THM) last November, the muffin in a mug has become a staple for breakfast.  It is quick, healthy and customizable.  Plus my kids enjoy it as well so I can quickly prepare them and know we are getting a healthy meal that feels decadent.  I round out the kids' with some full fat cottage cheese or fruit.  I just have coffee with mine.
The key with this version is that there are some powerful flavors here.  I don't want to be overwhelmed by just one so caution with adding the extracts is advised.

Fall Flavors Muffin-S

1 beaten egg
4 Tbsp freshly ground flax
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 Tbsp of truvia-type sweetener, or equivalent
1/8 tsp maple syrup extract
1/4 tsp orange extract
1 tsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 cup (2 Tbsp) fresh cranberries

Mix everything together well in a mug and microwave for 1 minute.
I've not baked in an oven, but I have heard 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Top with some low-fat cream cheese whipped with stevia and maybe a little chocolate drizzle for the perfect bite of fall!



5 comments:

Stacy said...

You are kind of over the pumpkin thing? Well - that's just plain sad, right there.
This looks yummy - and I agree that it needs chocolate on top!
Thanks for linking at Centsibly Sugar and Grain-Free!

Gwen said...

cranberry & orange are one of my favorite flavor combos at any time of the year!
Thanks for linking up at Trim Healthy Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

I tried this muffin. It was great!! Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

My new fav MIM! Thank you! -Angie

Mariah said...

This is my new favorite muffin! I've made it twice already- thanks!