November 10, 2013

A Festive, Yet Healthy, Pink Smoothie!- FP

First let me say that my tastes do run towards tart and sour and my kids are constantly on me for this.  They want sweet smoothies, not something that will make them pucker.
And I do try, but do not often succeed.  I think that since starting THM I've realized that I don't care for sweet as much as I thought.  That there are so many other tastes and flavors that are interesting.
But this is my attempt to make things a bit sweeter.  It is simple and could be altered to make it more festive either through the use of topping it off with sparkling water or a shot of alcohol, or really maxed out on smoothie potential with more veggies or fruits.  Just be aware that this one (with 11 net carbs) is right on the FP boundary for E in the THM world so if you add fruits you are probably in E territory.

I think I was just looking for a nice afternoon drink that was healthy and full of vitamins and anti-oxidants for this time of year.  My kids still aren't crazy about it, but that just means there is more for me.
And as I'm feeling more generous lately, I even looked up the nutritional info on this one.  I was shooting for FP so I don't feel guilt for sipping it all afternoon, and it looks like I stayed pretty well within those boundaries.

Festive Pink Smoothie-FP

Makes 1 serving: 60 cal, 15 carbs (4 fiber), 0 protein, 0 fat

2 cups water
1 Tbsp rosehips, dried
1/4 cup fresh cranberries
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1/4 of a whole, fresh lemon, seeds and peel included
1/8 tsp orange extract or a few drops of orange essential oil (food grade)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 dashes of NuNaturals stevia (or to taste)
pinch of Redmond RealSalt (sea salt)

Blend to smoothie perfection in your blender.  Make sure that the lemon seeds are thoroughly processed.  Add ice if not frozen enough for your tastes.

This post is shared at Stacy Makes Cents for Centsibly Sugar and Grain-Free and at Gwen's Nest for Trim, Healthy Tuesday.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I just love that you put your smoothies in those glasses. :-)
Thanks for linking at Centsibly Sugar and Grain Free!

Gwen said...

Oh, I love the rose hips to really max out the vitamin C content. I love tart and sour too. :)

Thanks for linking up at Trim Healthy Tuesday!
Gwen