September 3, 2013

Swedish-ish Meatballs-S

Sometimes I do stupid things and it works out.  Other times it doesn't.  And then there are those times where you aren't really sure if it is good or bad and you have to repeat to see what the verdict actually is.

Last week I made meatballs.  I say Swedish-ish as I am not Swedish, and outside of ikea and H&M, know little to nothing about the actual place.  These aren't authentic in any way.  In fact, they are more of a translation of a Paula Deen meatloaf recipe.  
And may I add that I am glad that despite sanitizing their programing of Paula Deen, the Food Network has kept her recipes handy on their website.  My opinion is that very little in life is really done for moral reasons on the level that Paula was attacked, and usually has to do with money more often than not.  But that isn't the point so let's get back to meatballs.

I've been using oats as a binder in meatloaf for years, thanks to Paula, and now that I'm a Trim, Healthy Mama I've been incorporating it as a binder in many items.  They work very well and fit the plan.  These are ground first as you want the uniformity and more of a flour consistency.  For meatloaf, I don't bother and leave them whole.  I do use an organic, old-fashioned version and they do quite nicely.

These meatballs are pretty much a base of ground meat, eggs, ground oats and minced onion.  I customize them depending on what I want to pair them with.  For Swedish meatballs I also add some Worcestershire Sauce and some freshly grated nutmeg.
I add in any spices and seasonings with the oats.

I have these in my Blendtec Wildside jar.  It perfectly grinds the oats with a few pulses.
I add the chopped onion and then the eggs and meat (don't worry, the full recipe with dirctions is below).

This is the oddity here in how I mixed them.  Normally you put it all in a bowl and mush it with your hands.  But I decided that I would try using the Blendtec.
Actually, I was lazy and didn't feel like having to get raw meat on my hands if Ididn't have to.



I'm not sure it turned out so well?  The meat closer to the blade kind of turned into mush and the rest didn't really move down and integrate.  I had the feeling that if I had continued pulsing, I might have ended up with meat soup.  It was actually kind of gross and I kept hearing the phrase 'pink slime' in my head.
But I perservered and dumped it all into a bowl and continued mixing it by hand.  Then I put it in the fridge to chill and make it easier to shape.
The thing is that when I went to shape it, the consistency was really nice.  It wasn't just ground meat, but it wasn't puree of meat either.  It was nicely uniform and molded well.
I did use wet hands and formed the balls about 1 inch in diameter.  You can make them bigger, but I like to feel like I can eat a lot, so I make them smaller and eat more.

Swedish Meatballs-S

2 pounds of ground meat, beef, pork, or whatever you have on hand
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
salt
pepper
fresh grated nutmeg
1/2 onion, roughly chopped
2 eggs
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Add dry oats, salt, pepper and nutmeg to Blendtec and pulse 1-2 times.
Add onion, eggs, Worcestershire sauce and meat.  Pulse quickly to incorporate meat, but don't overblend.
When about half of the mixture appears like a thick puree', place it all into a bowl and mix by hand.
Let chill for a bit, if desired and then form into 1 inch diameter meatballs.  This makes about 60.

I like to make them small so I can eat more.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes and serve right away with a rich version of cauliflower mash and Good Gravy, or put them in a labelled freezer bag for up to 6 months in the deep freeze.

This recipes is shared with Trim, Healthy Tuesday link up sponsored by Stacy Makes Cents.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

LOL LOL This whole post made me laugh - it was like I wrote it. :-) I like to make them smaller so I can eat more. I do that ALL THE TIME! lol lol
Thanks for linking at Trim Healthy Tuesday!
~Stacy @ Stacy Makes Cents

Amanda said...

Had to leave a comment on this one too! I've been doing THM for about a month now (down 18 pounds!) and several of your recipes have been such life savers. This one is maybe our family's favorite new recipe. We do the cauliflower on the side like you recommend and wow! Everyone keeps commenting that we're eating "better" (as in tastier, yummier dishes) now that I'm on this THM plan than before, so thanks! ;-)

Amber said...

I'm confused. The ground beef and whole egg would make this an S. But I thought oats/oat flour was an E. I'm new to THM, so I'm still learning!

See the Blue Sky said...

Amber, you are right that the beef and egg are S. The oats are E, BUT the amount makes it an okay addition to the recipe.
You could sub a joseph's pita for breadcrumbs as well.
It is really looking at the overall carbs and taking the glycemic index and fiber into consideration.