August 27, 2013

Seasonal Frittata-S

It's funny how we so often tend to stay within our comfort zones.  And of all the comforts out there, food is often the one that is hardest to change.
Our tastes are cultivated from an early age, and as I read thru the Trim, Healthy Mama boards on Facebook, I am often puzzled that so many people think that eating on plan means odd foods or weird new recipes and unfamiliar ingredients.
Let me just say, THM can be easy and include many of the staples you were already eating and know and love.  The main things are to get off sugar and empty carbs and watch how you combine foods.
You can still eat simply with a focus on proteins and seasonal veggies.  Add some good fat and you have S/Satisfying meals, or some whole grains or fruit with low fat and you have E/Energizing meals.

I find that I might not make meals like I once did, but the foods are still the same.
Something simple like a vegetable frittata with a salad is a filling meal that is quick, cheap and easy.

But if you are like me, you didn't grow up eating frittatas.  I made my first one a few years ago and thought it was a "big" deal and something new when my husband looked at me and said I had just made an oven omelet.  He apparently used to have them regularly as a kid growing up in Alaska, but suburban Atlanta didn't have them in the 70s or even 80s that I can recall.

And I will admit that I was somewhat taken aback that he considered my frittata to be nothing more than an oven omelet, but then there are eggs, cheese, veggies and maybe some meat.  So darn, I guess it really must just be an oven omelet.

But like a regular omelet, frittatas are versatile.  The difference is that they are so easy to make and pretty hard to screw up.  It's kind of quiche-like, but without the pretentiousness or crust.

I tend to vary my frittata fillings based on what I have on hand.  If there are tomatoes in the garden or peppers that need using up, in they go.
If there was a sale on cheddar, then that is my cheese of choice.
The base recipe follows, but please,please change it around as you see fit to meet the likes and tastes of your family.  I've written it in steps just to show how I do this.
All ingredients, short of the eggs, are negotiable.  And one 12" skillet feeds my family of 4+1.
And remember, THM, can be about real food, nothing strange and weird here (I hope).

Frittata-S

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
  • Melt 1-2 TBSP butter in a large cast iron (or any oven-safe) skillet over medium heat.
  • Add onions or any hard veggies like peppers and saute till soft-ish.
  • Add any pre-cooked meats, like Candian bacon or ham or salmon, and heat thru.
  • Mushy veggies like tomatoes or mushrooms go next.  I tend to cook them till the liquid is released and evaporated.
  • Add leafy veggies, like spinach, and cook till wilted.
  • Meanwhile crack and gently beat your eggs till just combined.  I generally use at least 7, but for a larger crowd have used up to 10 for this size pan.  If you have a really large group to feed or if your growing kids need to eat a lot, then you might need to make more than one.
  • Season the eggs with Redmond RealSalt and pepper, or cayenne if you are feeling adventurous.
  • Pour the eggs into the skillet.  You don't need to stir them or anything.  Just let them be and let them stay on the stovetop over medium heat for about 5 minutes till you see the sides of the frittata have set.
  • Top with the cheese of your choice, use caution with salmon or other fish if you please, and pop it in the over for 10-15 minutes.  I usually check it at 10 minutes and see how it is setting up.  If it jiggles, then it needs a bit more time.
  • Remove from oven and if you are feeling adventurous you can try and flip it onto a plate or serving platter.  I'm old and tired and my family can just put it on their plates from the pan as I'm not going to flip an iron skillet.


The cool thing is that you can have it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  It pairs nicely with coffee and is filling in the morning, or at night a side salad and a few ounces of red wine are lovely with this.  I also will save leftovers and pop them in the toaster over or microwave the next day and it always heats up well.
So, eat healthy, on plan with THM, cheap and no weird ingredients (unless you just want to use them).

This recipe is shared as a part of Trim, Healthy Tuesday in conjunction with Stacy Makes Cents and Gwen's Nests.  Check them out for more THM ideas.


2 comments:

Stacy Makes Cents said...

LOL Well, I'm "young and tired" and I would still serve mine straight from the skillet. :-)
Looks delish - and I love husbands and their ability to make things so simple: Oven Omelet. Gotta love it.
Thanks for linking at Trim Healthy Tuesday!

Stacy said...

You were featured at Trim Healthy Tuesday because your recipe ROCKS!