August 26, 2013

Cauliflower Mash- A Very Rich S Recipe

Cauliflower.
I've found it can be a very polarizing ingredient, but if you live in my house you might want to hope you like it as it is a nutritious, filling staple here.
It does have a taste and texture, but they can be so versatile and mimic so many other things.
Just before starting THM, I found the perfect mashed potato recipe. I have to admit that I truly love good mashed potatoes, and to be honest, even bad ones aren't always so bad?   This recipe from Ree Drummond was overly indulgent and perfection and I actually had these a few times after starting the plan (and still lost weight, just to fully disclose) but then I discovered cauliflower mash.  

One thing I think I like the most about cauliflower is that it isn't a wimpy vegetable.  It's cruciferous, like broccoli or cabbage, so it packs a bunch of nutrition and fiber and is perfect for the Trim, Healthy Mama way of life.  

It really does mimic the taste of mashed potatoes, and you do feel a bit decadent with the richness and creaminess that these have.  I figure you can have cauliflower that is just mashed or you can truly elevate it and make it something special, and I kind of prefer the special.

I will add that I do currently make these in my Blendtec in the Wildside jar, but prior to getting it, I used a food processor and it worked well.  You would never mash potatoes like this (please, please don't as you will get soup), but the Blendtec batter setting works perfectly.

Enjoy!

Cauliflower Mash

1 head of cauliflower steamed, or (quick and easy) a bag of frozen cauliflower defrosted
1/3 cup of lowfat cream cheese
1/3-1/2 cup half and half
3 Tbsp butter
Season with RealSalt Organic Garlic Salt or plain sea salt and pepper if you like

Combine all in your Blendtec and process on "batter" setting or in a food processor until smooth and creamy.  Season to taste, transfer to serving dish and heat more if needed.




This post is a part of Trim, Healthy Tuesday at Stacy Makes Cents.

2 comments:

Stacy Makes Cents said...

We loooooooooooooove mashed cauli! And I love mashing it in my Blendtec too - aren't they totally rockin?
Thanks for linking at Trim Healthy Tuesday!

Clarice Baker said...

I dieted for a year one time and tried many foods to stay on a diet to lose 60 lbs. One thing was to use Mashed Cauliflower to make Potato salad, I found it to be a very good treat.