August 10, 2013

At the Coco, Coco-Banana!

You are supposed to now have that wonderful tune by Barry Manilow stuck in your head, just to let you know.

I love food that makes me happy, and up until Trim, Healthy Mama, bananas made me happy.  They could take a green smoothie and make it just wonderful.  I wasn't big on sugar, but I did eat bananas.  A lot of bananas.
They were, in fact, almost the deal breaker for me in starting THM as I wasn't sure I could live without them.
But I trudged on in a banana-less life.
And yes, I know you can still have them in moderation, but moderation isn't really a word I enjoy.  I don't want to live a life of moderation, I'm pretty sure.

So, I'm missing bananas, and then I discover banana extract.
I will be honest.  It isn't the same as the real thing, but it's close enough and sometimes that has got to be good enough.
I really went by ratings on amazon when it came to extracts.  Some of the more 'natural' ones didn't get good ratings for tastes and were more expensive.  I'm not going to be using this daily in large amounts so I figure it's alright to use a non-organic flavoring for a cheaper price.

So this is yet another version of the "muffin in a mug/MIM", and it is  my attempt to make a chocolate banana bread.
If you cannot have nuts, I am sorry.  I use walnuts in this muffin and they help to take it to the next level.
Also walnuts are good for you.  Like really good for you.  You can google to get the specifics, but they are a great source of protein, have the best omega fatty acids, can help lower cholesterol, aid in sleep, and help keep your arteries clear.
So omit them if you have to, but otherwise, enjoy!

Nutty goodness!
The Coco-Banana!

1 beaten egg
1/2 tsp banana extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
4-5 T ground flax
1 T cocoa powder
1 T truvia (or to taste)
1 tsp coconut oil (feel free to use more, but I cut back since there is fat in the nuts)
walnuts, chopped (I just throw in a small handful, probably2-3 Tbsp)

Mix all of the ingredients well in a mug, and nuke in the microwave for 1 minute.
Top with some whipped cream (low-sugar, of course) and a drizzle of skinny chocolate or sugar-free chocolate sauce.  (don't go over-board like I did ;)  )




This recipe is shared as a part of Trim, Healthy Tuesday link at Stacy Makes Cents and Gwen's Nest.  Check out the site for more THM ideas and recipes.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Looks so good! What brand of extract do you use? :)

See the Blue Sky said...

I use the Watkins banana extract due to the value. Frontier also makes one,but it didn't have as good of reviews as the Watkins did on amazon.

~kimi

Stacy Makes Cents said...

I like the Frontier brand very well...and I'm with you. Moderation and bananas can't go in the same sentence. :-0
You should try the Frapp with some banana extract in it. AWESOME! And sometimes I make it PB Banana and use peanut flour instead of cocoa. Mind blowing.
Thanks for linking at Trim Healthy Tuesday! :-)

Stacy said...

Kimi - I finally got around to making this muffin and it's EXCELLENT! I shared on FB and Twitter. :-)