July 12, 2013

What You Need to Make Is Time


I enjoy exercise.
I know many people don't, but I like to push and challenge myself physically at this point in my life.  I enjoy knowing that I can do things now, that I would have flat out refused to do in my teens, and wasn't capable of in my 20s.

But you see, I never exercised as a kid.  I was the girl who got doctor excuses to skip PE all during school and was intimidated because I felt like a klutz.  I wasn't 5'2 and 100 pounds with a dance or gymnastics background.  I towered over my peers at over 5'7" and always felt awkward and bigger.
When I had my first child, I got some exercise tapes so that I could lose some weight (I say tapes because we didn't have dvd's back then).  I enjoyed them so much and started to build my confidence that I joined a gym.
The community I discovered there was full of acceptance, no matter what your size or skills.  I was nurtured and encouraged to push myself.  It was because of this that I started running about 14 years ago.  Mainly because I was always waiting on classes at the gym, but also because I always thought I was too big to run.  Girls with a big chest shouldn't run, right?  Well, I just made sure I had a great sports bra and set off.
I was surprised at first, but then it just became second nature and still is.  Even heavy and even pregnant at 43, I still ran.  It made me feel good, and still does today.

We started homeschooling when our oldest was 6.   I used to always say that homeschooling made me fat.  But, actually, it wasn't the schooling, but the fact that my 2 hours spent each morning at the gym were suddenly gone and replaced by a lot of sitting and eating more calorie dense foods.
It's no wonder I gained a few pounds.


And then we moved, and that was stress.
And then I worked full-time over night, and that weird schedule forced me to eat badly.
And then I had a baby.
And then....  And then..... And then.....

You see, it isn't about excuses.  You can always make excuses.
What you need to make is time.

The cool thing is that the latest in research shows that it might be better to exercise harder for shorter periods of time than to do  longer sessions of moderate intensity.

Short workouts.  I can do that.
I can always find 25 minutes that I'm going to devote to myself, right?
My health (and sanity) is worth 25 minutes a day.  Keeping my body strong, and my heart and lungs in good form should be priorities as we grow older.

I love my Bob Harper Inside Out dvds.  They offer a shorter workout of about 15-30 minutes paired with a longer one, but I've been doing these for a good 2 years.  And the Jillian Michaels ones are good, but not what was working for me.
I enjoy the SPEW workout in Trim, Healthy Mama, but I really love having the interaction of a class if I'm not running, and the calisthenics alone were not something I wanted to do daily.  I like the rhythm of a class setting to be honest though SPEW is a kick butt workout.

Then Focus T25 was released last week.  I bought it the first day it was available, and received it on July 3.
I was thinking this might just be the workout of my dreams!  Hard enough to challenge me, fun because Shaun T is fun, and short, quick and 25 minutes.

I was so looking forward to the release of this workout, and then I got it, popped it in the dvd and did it that first day,  and then I wondered what I had gotten myself into.  I remember thinking before I did the first one  that I was in pretty good shape, how hard could it be?
That was really a stupid thought.  It was harder than I could keep pace, but a lower impact example is continuously shown through the workout, and I dropped down and did lower impact as needed.  My only satisfaction came from the fact that my husband and daughter couldn't keep up with me even and he's a runner and she's a fit 15 year old.
You see, if you are only going to exercise for 25 minute then every second counts.  Focus T25 is like an all out sprint the entire time.
But in a good way.


With the Alpha and Beta set you get 11 workouts.  I'm still in Alpha and working up to the Beta level, but after just a week I am seeing major changes, and today the workout that killed me last week actually felt good, and I almost kept up with the crazy, fast pace the whole 25 minutes.
The price is high, but when you look at 11 dvds and resistance bands along with diet and dvd schedule, it's a pretty good deal when you break it down.
I think it was a great investment and something that our entire family will use for years to come.

So no more excuses.


The included workouts include:
  1. Cardio - 25 minutes of calorie-burning, sweat-drenching cardio.
  2. Speed 1.0 - Ignite your quickness. Burn the fat. Fast-paced for fast results.
  3. Total Body Circuit - Focus on strength and resistance-without lifting a single weight.
  4. Ab Intervals - Cardio and ab intervals that shred the fat from your midsection.
  5. Lower Focus - Focus on your lower-body muscles-the key to burning fat and kicking up your metabolism.
  6. Core Cardio - Get your sweat on. This progressive cardio-core workout is about you getting shredded fast.
  7. Speed 2.0 - Rev it up with Shaun's calorie-scorching, core-focused speed drills.
  8. Rip't Circuit - Cardio...upper body...legs...abs...repeat. This is how you get ripped in 25 minutes.
  9. Dynamic Core - You'll go from vertical to horizontal and back again in this dynamic, crazy core routine.
  10. Upper Focus - Shaun will help you develop the upper body of your dreams. All you have to do is FOCUS.
  11. Stretch - After 5 days of hard work, stretch it out-and enjoy this one. You deserve it.


I will also add that I do not have a diastasis, and do not know if any of these workout are appropriate for a person who does.  If you feel that you do have an abdominal split, usually related to pregnancy, you can do a self-evaluation and exercises to heal at Fit 2 Be.
The Focus T25 workout is not a beginner workout and you should read the disclaimers by the producers of the dvd before using.

No comments: