July 15, 2013

What to Eat?

Do I keep a food journal?
Honestly?
No, I don't.
I love not having to count calories, or fat grams, or carbs,or fiber grams......
That is the appeal that Trim, Healthy Mama (THM) had for me.  I've lived where instead of keeping my little notes of what to do for the day, I kept a weekly log of every bite that I ate with a nutritional breakdown and water tally.
I can't go back to that.

But in the last few days I have looked back at weight loss.  You see, I do still monitor my weight and measurements.  I think seeing where you've been can be helpful, and I do keep old menus around for a while so I know what some of the main things were that I was eating, just not tracking every, single bite.

I started THM the day after Thanksgiving 2012.  I lost the first 30 pounds in 5 months.
It then took 3 months to get the next 5 pounds off, with the last 2 in the last few weeks.

I still have 5 pounds I'd like to lose so I felt that looking at the daily specifics might be helpful.
What was I doing differently at first?  What caused the stall?  What was the reason for losing in the last few weeks?

I might be off on most of this, but my feelings are that getting my metabolism back on track with the initial diet changes got me down to a certain point.  The 155-160 pounds range was where I was for most of high school actually.  It's where my body stays when not pushed.  But I know that I need to get a bit lower to have a healthier level of body fat.
I am also nursing, and wonder if my body wants to hold onto a few extra pounds for that reason?
I've been exercising throughout this whole time, but not always regularly.  The last 2 weeks I've been exercising with more focus (Focus T25, to be exact) and more consistency.
I've been making sure I eat every 3-4 hours and have snacks if needed.
I'm watching some of the high fat, high calorie foods.  Just because I can have them, and there are no limits on some foods, doesn't mean I need to over-do it.
The Cheesecake Berry Crunch is yummy, but I have to ask myself, do I really need that much to eat, or would a green smoothie or some low fat cottage cheese with berries be just as filling?

I try to cut back and really listen to what my body says it needs for fuel.  I feed it lean protein, usually via a green smoothie, after exercise.
When I have a muffin in a mug, I use all flax to cut back on fat and calories (I also use this as rationale to have it most mornings)..
I tend to fall into the rut of eating the same things daily.  This goes against the THM philosophy of 'food confusion'; I plan to mix it up and change out meal types so that my body doesn't learn to expect that yummy muffin every morning.

So, what does a normal day look like for me?
On an S day, I usually start with a muffin in a mug.  I change out the flavors here and there, but it is quick and easy and tasty with a cup of coffee with half and half.
I usually exercise in the morning and follow this with a green smoothie.  This is technically a FP.
Lunch lately has been a low carb wrap with lean cold cuts and low fat cheese and some lettuce and non-starchy veggies..  This is also a FP meal.
Snack is usually half an apple with either homemade peanut or almond butter (40 seconds in the Blendtec and it is perfect).  This is an S-helper.  I figure after the FP, it's all good.
Dinner is usually a meat with some veggies.  Maybe salmon patties (I use oat flour as a binder with a few eggs), some cauliflower mash, and some green peas.  I'm honestly not sure what the peas are, and I really don't care?  I like peas, they are green, and seem not so starchy.  So I eat it and call it all S.
If I need a further snack at night, it will probably be a wasa light rye cracker with some light cheese spread.

I honestly prefer to have a day be all S or almost all E.  I find that it just works better for me, and I don't have to think about how long it's been since I last ate to avoid mixing fuels.  I try to have a FP to balance out the S-helper snack.
There might be some areas of improvement with what I'm eating, but I feel like I'm not overthinking it, not overworked and am enjoying what I'm eating.  I'm not going hungry and I'm able to do what needs doing as my body feels fed and not starved.
These last 5 pounds will probably come off more slowly than I'd like, but I feel that as long as I'm developing and encouraging good habits that will stay with me for years to come, then I'm cool with it.

No comments: