July 23, 2013

Poblano Tomato Soup-S


I love soup.
In the winter I like a hearty, chunky stew, but summer makes me crave smooth and silky blends.

I don't have a large garden, and some years I think about not planting anything, but I find it next to impossible to not have at least a few tomato and pepper plants.  This time of year, even with just a few plants, you can get quite a few tomatoes and peppers.
I like to try different varieties as well.  This way I can sample without being overloaded by produce.
With school starting  for my bigs, and a toddler too, I'm not really in the mood to spend days canning this year.  I needed a year off.
So I planted just 4 little pepper plants with my heirloom tomatoes, including one Poblano chili plant.  These peppers are a bit pricey at my local store, and I figured it would be nice to try them out.

I've always seen the Poblano peppers roasted over a fire or stove top.  It was kind of intimidating, but hey, it didn't catch on fire right away, so I figured it was all good.  I didn't let the skin get completely black, but it blistered a bit and I let them cool and then removed the blackened skin.
They smelled amazing, just to let you know.

Meanwhile, I was sweating some onion and garlic over a lower heat.  I didn't want them to brown, but to cook slowly, to sweat, and become translucent.
After removing the stem of the pepper and cutting it into medium pieces (size doesn't matter, you'll soon see why), I added them to the pan and cooked over low for about 5 more minutes.
The next addition is a couple of tomatoes, chopped coarsely.  Continue to cook for 5-10 minutes.  I don't want the taste of raw tomatoes in my soup, so I cook them for a bit.  Adding some tomato paste would be a good thing at this point too,but I was out.
Season with salt and pepper.



Now for the magic.
I carefully pour all the ingredients into your blender.
I'm using my new, lovely Blendtec.

Now I add 1/2 cup of half and half, 1 cup of homemade beef stock, and 1 cup of water.
My blender has a "soup" setting, so I press it and in 90 seconds it is perfectly smooth.
Feel free to use whatever setting you can to get it silky.

Now return it to a saucepan and heat thru for another 5-10 minutes.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Now enjoy it with a beautiful summer salad and a crusty piece of "S" approved bread (I used a Joseph's pita).




This recipe is a part of the link for Trim, Healthy Tuesdays sponsored by Gwen's Nest and Stacy Makes Cents.  Check their sites for more recipes THM-style!

3 comments:

Cindy@ExpatPrep said...

That looks really yummy! how would it be as a cold soup, do you think?

See the Blue Sky said...

It isn't bad cold, but I like it warmed thru a bit.
kimi

s\ said...

I just LOVE pureed soups! Hubby, not so much. He says it's girly. LOL
Thanks for linking at Trim Healthy Tuesday!