July 2, 2013

Lean, Mean, Trim Healthy Machine?

Trim, healthy Tuesday seems centered around food.
Now I enjoy food as much as anyone; otherwise, I probably wouldn't have gotten fat.  But the rebel in me wants to forget about food for the day and focus on the other piece of the puzzle.  That great, little word called exercise.

Most weight loss plans focus on the food.  Trim, Healthy Mama is no exception.  And food is the most important thing you can change if you want to lose weight.  Spending 8 hours in the gym (if you didn't die first) would do no good if you were eating too many calories.
You have to fix the food first.

But then....
I think it is important to consider, and implement, an exercise program.  
You don't exercise so that you look hot. or cut. or to look great in your jeans, but you exercise because that  is what your body was made to do.
If you are like me, you sit way too much.  As I said yesterday, I used to work as an RN.  I was active on the job.  I moved, lifted and walked.  But now, not so much.  So I have to make a conscious effort each day, or it just is a lot of sitting.
And let me clarify, activity is good, but not always exercise. 
Activity is cleaning or playing at the park with the kids, exercise is getting benefits to your heart, lungs and muscles and bones.
You exercise so that your body is able to do the activity that you want to do in life.


You wouldn't look at me and say, "She's in amazing shape".  I don't have 6-pack abs, I have saggy, middle-aged parts, but I also can say that in all my years as a nurse in hospitals, I never hurt my back.  I can say that at 43, pregnancy kind of sucked, and it was hard, but I kept my body strong so that it could labor and then care for a baby afterwards.  I'm in good shape because my heart and muscles are toned and able to do work.

I don't always love to exercise and some days I have to force myself to do get out there and do it.  But it isn't  the attitude, but the just getting out there that counts.
You don't have to spend hours a day, each and every day.  The latest research is showing that shorter, more intense workouts are the most beneficial.  This is discussed in Trim, Healthy Mama and their SPEW workout fits right in to the busiest schedules.

The thing is, I see so many women who let pregnancy start the downward spiral of their health.  They may read all the books and take their MD prescribed vitamin, but they aren't caring for their bodies in a way that will allow them to be an active part of their kids' lives for the long-term.  The weight starts to add up and there's no time for exercise and they become heavier and more unfit. Then you hit a certain age and disease sets in or depression starts.
I have always seen pregnancy like a marathon.  If you sign up for a marathon, you train your body for what's ahead.  Pregnancy is like this.  You need to train your body for what's to come each and every day.  Even more so if you plan on having multiple children.
You have to take the time to focus on you and your health.

And you don't have to spend a bunch of money or buy stuff or invest in equipment.  My personal philosophy is that if you train yourself to do things the hard way initially and can commit, then adding in the easy is a breeze.  Start exercising with the bare minimum.  Just your body and if you stick with it a week or 2 or 3, then reward yourself with a workout dvd or a set of weights, or a yoga mat.
Walking is free and chances are, you have shoes or barefoot shoes.  Walk some today and then a little further everyday.
Find a program like SPEW that only uses your body for resistance.  There are a ton of workouts online.
You don't have to love exercise to get out there and move.

I'm not planning on ever having the 'perfect' figure, whatever that may be, but I do plan on being strong enough to do what I need to do in life and to keep my body healthy and in good working order for a long time to come....

Also visit Gwen's Nest and Stacy Makes Cents for more Trim, Healthy Tuesday links.


1 comment:

Stacy Makes Cents said...

All I have to say is, there is a HUGE reason they call it The Spew. Shewee. I can hardly do it!
Thanks for linking at Trim Healthy Tuesday!