July 18, 2013

Flax.... With a Savory Quick Bread Recipe-S

Flax.
Grains.

It's such an easy thing to over-think sometimes, I think.
Should we grind our own grain, or should we just buy it?  Aren't whole grains better?  Isn't it cheaper? 

Like I said a while back, we often tend to make food into something more than it should sometimes be, but in the end, I generally want to keep it simple, and this means getting my biggest nutritional bang for my buck.
Yes, I have a grain mill, and yes, I have more grain in my basement than a family of 5 probably needs, but I find that as far as convenience and cost, it works for us.
But that doesn't mean that I don't buy a bag of white flour occasionally.  I guess, I don't want to feel like my life is dictated by a list of culinary guidelines or standards.  I want to be thoughtful in what I do and use with my family's needs considered in my choices.
Since starting to eat the Trim, Healthy Mama way, I've kind of abandoned most all wheat and all of its buddies too.  I've learned more about using flax meal and various nut flours.
The nut flours, like almond meal, are pricey, so I try to use flax as often as possible as it is more affordable.

I find that making my own flax meal gives me the best price and product, and you do NOT need a grain mill.  In fact, if you put them in your grain mill, chances are, you would no longer have one that was in good functioning order.

Flax.
I love the stuff.  It's got a nutty taste that goes so well with things that are sweet and salty.  It makes moist, tasty muffins as well as a crunchy, crisp cracker.  It's a very versatile ingredient and really deserves a try in your kitchen.
I buy the seeds whole and use Golden Flax Seeds.  This is my personal preference, but the dark brown ones are acceptable as well.
I would encourage you to buy them whole as well.   As with all whole grains, after grinding, the oils quickly become rancid and are not so good for you anymore.  Flax is especially sensitive to heat and oxygen,  and because it contains so much more oil than normal grains, the seeds go rancid almost immediately when ground.  This is even more true of flax seed oil.   Rancid or rotten is never good when it comes to oils as this leads to the production of free-radicals within your body.
 I've seen some sources that say buying small bags of pre-ground flax meal with a valid expiration date then keeping it frozen is alright, but I'm ticky about getting what I've paid for, and with flax you might never know.
So I opt on the side of caution and buy whole seeds.

And the cost per pound of the whole seeds is about 1/3 of what the ground meal costs.  So not only do you get a better, fresher product, but you save quite a bit of cash.
But you do not want to eat the whole seeds unless you just want to have them move thru your system intact.

 I keep my whole flax in glass jars or plastic food storage bins in a cool room,out of direct sunlight or heat.  I don't believe that freezing it necessary, but I would be careful about keeping them in a very warm area.  Like most grains, keep it in a cool, dark area, well-sealed to avoid bugs or molds.

You must grind them for the omega oils to be released and activated.  
This is so simple.  Go to walmart and buy a coffee bean grinder for about $10-15.  These are perfect for grinding flax and other small seeds and spices too.
You might have to spend some on the grinder, but it is a great use in most kitchens and will pay for itself after a few batches of flax.

To grind, simply put a little over half of what your recipe says in seeds into the grinder.  If it calls for 4 Tablespoons, then use 2 heaping Tablespoons of seeds.  Then grind and use.  It can be that easy.

So for crackers, muffins, or bread, grind your own fresh flax for a spectacular taste and health benefit.

To make a quick flax bread like the one
pictured:

  • beat 1 egg in a microwave safe mug
  • add 4 TBSP freshly ground flax
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp of RealSalt Organic Garlic Salt
  • cut 1/2 wedge of Laughing Cow Garlic and Herb cheese into pieces
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
Add all the ingredients together and mix well.  Microwave for 60 seconds, or feel free to bake for about 8-10 minutes at 350.  Top with the remaining Laughing Cow wedge if desired!

This recipe is easy to customize as as sweet or savory.  Feel free to play around with it by omitting the salt and cheese.

This recipe is shared through Trim, Healthy Tuesday.  Please check out the other links at Gwen's Nest and Stacy Makes Cents!


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. Do you happen to have an egg free version? I would love to make this for DD & I but DD is allergic to eggs. no cheese due to dairy allergies but I'm sure it would work w/out cheese so I'm not worried about that part)

Jessica said...

Loved the recipe! Yeah for gluten free bread!

Jill Meyer said...

Would this fall under S? I am thinking because of the cheese yes.

See the Blue Sky said...

Jill, It is S because of the flax and whole egg.
The cheese is the lowfat laughing cow and it is FP until combined with the other ingredients.
kimi

See the Blue Sky said...

I do not have an egg free version, but know that many vegans use flax as a binder and egg replacement I'll have to check with some egg-free friends and see how they handle this.
kimi

Tonia said...

Neat! I hadn't thought of putting cheese in my bread!

Stacy Makes Cents said...

Winner. Going straight to the Pinterest board. Booya. Thanks for linking at Trim Healthy Tuesday!

Michelle said...

Love it! need a grinder that doesnt have coffee in it now!

You CAN use chia in place of eggs, grind 1 TBP and add 3 TBSP water- then use in place of 1 egg

Michelle said...

MMM- now I need a grinder with no coffee in it LOL
- you can use chia as an egg replacement. I think the ratio for an egg is 1TBS chia ground and soaked for 10 min in 3 TBS water

UmYoucefBintDavid al Amerikiyia said...

Can you use another type of oil?

See the Blue Sky said...

Any oil should be fine. There are just benefits to using coconut oil and that is why it is my choice.
~kimi@seethebluesky