July 29, 2013

Chocolate Almond Berry Flax Muffins- Quick and Savory/S

I recently shared my version of a savory, quick muffin, but everyone knows that sweet is also a good thing?
I'll admit that Trim, Heathy Mama has helped to alter my tastes and I don't really care as much for sweet, but it is nice to start the day feeling like you've splurged.
The tastes here are truly decadent!
Rich chocolate with almond and berries.
But you know I'm looking at a cheap and easy as well.

This all flax muffin is quick, even when grinding your own flax, and it cuts the costs AND calories compared to adding in nut flours (we're staying gluten-free and THM-style, and not even considering wheat).

This is our breakfast of choice, not just for me, but for my kids too.  They love feeling like they are eating cake for breakfast.  I don't make it overly sweet, but feel free to swing the ingredients in a way that makes you happy.
The batter is mixed before adding berries!

In my mug:
1 beaten egg
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 Tbsp coconut oil
4 Tbsp ground flax (fresh is best!)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 Tbsp stevia based sweetener (I use a store brand truvia-knockoff)

Add all of these together and mix.  And I mean really, really mix.  You don't want clumps of egg or baking powder.

Now you can add some frozen berries.  I actually prefer just raspberries, but had a raspberry/blueberry blend and was feeling too lazy to pick through them.
Do NOT add the berries with just the liquid ingredients thinking that you can do just one mixing.  It seems like a good idea (I speak from experience), but the berries will cause the coconut oil to solidify and this isn't pretty or what you are really going for).

Stir the berries into the already well-blended batter.
Microwave for 1 minute in your mug and turn out onto a plate.
I've never baked one but I'd say 350 for 15 -18 minutes would be great.

I cut mine in half so I have 2 muffins (and isn't getting 2 better than 1?)
I top with a bit of whipped cream and some chocolate sauce.  You could use skinny chocolate or a sugar-free version from the store.
To be perfectly S on THM watch your whipped cream serving (unless you are whipping your own and adding stevia) and chocolate sauce.
Enjoy!
This post is a part of Trim, Healthy Tuesday at Gwen's Nest and Stacy Makes Cents.

2 comments:

Stacy Makes Cents said...

I cannot WAIT to make this one! Woohoo!!!! Thanks for linking at Trim Healthy Tuesday!
~Stacy @ Stacy Makes Cents

Stacy Makes Cents said...

You were featured at Trim Healthy Tuesday !!!