June 25, 2013

Variation on a Pizza

Is there really such a thing as a bad pizza?
The fact is, our family really likes pizza.  Like really loves it.  We probably went thru a phase where we ate it daily for a while, and it has always been a staple for us.
But pizza isn't on many diets.
On Trim, Healthy Mama, there are several recipes for crust in the book.  I will admit that I fell in love the first time I tried the Fooled Ya Pizza Crust that is made of cauliflower.  Yes, it sounds weird, and I will also admit to being a cauliflower junkie, but my husband also prefers it over a bread crust as well, so it isn't just me.
My husband works weird hours and isn't usually home for dinner, and my kids are fit and healthy.  They eat their veggies so I let them have the bread crusts that they love, so I tend to make my own personal pan pizza with this crust.
It can be made as a flat crust, but it's easier to put it in my 9x9, non-stick pan (and I eat directly from it).

I will admit that I am not a fancy eater or cook.  I generally go for a red sauce, pepperoni and cheese, but didn't have any made today, didn't feel like making any, and pretty much needed to eat quickly.
I did have some alfredo sauce (sorry, I admit that I bought a jar of it as that is on plan and my recipe involves a beautiful bechamel that I refuse to change on the principle of it), but the store-bought sauce is within parameters of the THM plan and that is the key.
But I'm not going to just sit down and eat pizza with alfredo sauce and cheese.  So I thought about what I'd put on pasta with alfredo.  I wasn't in the mood for shrimp, and clams seemed weird.  But I did have some spinach lurking in the fridge, and you really can't get too many veggies, right?  So  I ended up sauteing the spinach in a bit (actually quite a bit) of butter, salted it and put it over the crust and alfredo.  I topped with mozzarella, baked it, and then ate it all gone.
(And the kids and baby also enjoyed it as well!)


This post is shared as part of the Trim, Healthy Tuesday hosted by Gwen's Nest and Stacy Makes Cents.  Please check them out!

2 comments:

Gwen said...

Looks yummy! I love spinach and alfredo anything. :)

Thanks for linking up!

Stacy Makes Cents said...

Wow - I could totally eat that. Like right now...I need a snack now. Thanks. :-p
Thanks for linking at Trim Healthy Tuesday!