June 4, 2013

Chicken Thai Soup- FP

It's Trim, Healthy Tuesday!  Check out Stacy's and Gwen's sites for more tips and recipes!
I love soup, and I was thinking that I was making the Taste of Thailand from pg 290 of Trim, Healthy Mama, but I guess I should probably read things more closely?
Turns out I was kind of close, but still out of the ball park. My version is kind of a left-over, pantry soup that is quick, cheap and easy to put together.  It is very flexible and forgiving as well, and can be customized in many ways....
And I will add that I like soup in summer.  I don't want a heavy winter stew, but something that takes advantage of what is fresh from the garden.  I can definitely see adding a zucchini or using fresh tomatoes for this one.
I put this soup in the Fuel Pull category in Trim, Healthy Mama.  That way I can add sides or let it stand alone.  I usually get 2 or 3 servings from this recipe.


Chicken Thai Soup-FP

  • Add a can of Rotel with green chilis to a blender to puree a bit, if you like (I use my store brand as it is almost half the price of the brand name, but just as tasty).  I like it kind of chunky, so I don't process much, sometimes not at all.  You could also use your own tomatoes, just add a green chili that is to your liking.
  • Put the tomatoes into a saucepan and add 1 can of light coconut milk.  (do not use the sweetened coconut cream.  You'll be sorry if you do.  It is putridly sweet.)
  • Add 1 cup of chicken stock or water if you don't have any.  And I will add that making your own is simple, inexpensive and tastes so much better than store bought.
  • Add cooked, cubed or shredded chicken breast meat.  I like about 1/2 cup, but you can use more or less.
  • Season with 1/4 tsp each: curry powder, red pepper, and  ginger.
  • Season with salt to taste.
  • Add 1/2 tsp of dried lemon basil.  (I grow this and harvest and dry my own.  It makes a nice addition, but you won't suffer much if you don't add any).
  • Simmer till warm thru out.



1 comment:

Stacy Makes Cents said...

That blend of spices is very unique. Sounds delish! :-) Thanks for linking up at Trim Healthy Tuesday!!