May 31, 2013

Smoky-Spicy Chicken with Rice-E

Chicken and Rice.
It's a staple, but quite frankly, it can be boring.  Bleh even sometimes.
But today I was inspired.
I used my Smoky-Spicy seasoning as inspiration for this dish that is E, or energizing, in the Trim, Healthy Mama world.  
First, I got my rice cooking.  I use a medium grain brown rice, but feel free to use what you have.  I put 1 T of the seasoning per 1 cup of rice.  You may also want to add some chicken stock to the water for flavor and increased nutrition.  Cook it stovetop or in a rice cooker.

Smoky-Spicy Chicken with Rice and Cheese Sauce
The chicken.
I cooked mine is a large, enameled cast iron pot with a lid, but any heavy pot with a lid will work.
  • Heat pan with a touch of oil in the bottom.  About 1-2 tsp.
  • Add boneless,skinless chicken breast, cut into pieces, into hot pan.
  • Add 1 T of seasoning mix per pound to the chicken and stir.  You could also season it in advance and really let it soak in, but that requires some kind of organizational level that I have yet to find. 
  • Cook until golden.
  • Add an enchilada sauce (my recipe to follow), stir thru and cover.  Let simmer for 30 minutes or so.
  • Serve with rice and cover with cheese sauce.
You can add cheddar and sour cream or guacamole for family members who are crossing over or not on plan.

Enchilada Sauce 
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 2 T tomato paste
  • 3-5 dried chilis
  • 4 cloves of garlic
Put all in a food processor until liquidy and smooth.

Cheese Sauce
Melt first 3 ingredients over low heat.  When cheese is melted, add Glucomannan, stir well and remove from heat.
Even baby Chase likes it!



2 comments:

Jessica said...

Looks great! And so does that cute baby! :D

Felecia Cofield said...

Hello Blue Sky! We may be just across the line from each other as I am in NE Alabama! I am enjoying your recipes! I needed more E's and have found some here! I'm new to THM so I'm figuring this out as I go. Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!