June 15, 2011

Week 3, or The Guru-ize

7 And the Lord said to Samuel, “Obey the voice of the people in all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected me from being king over them. 8 According to all the deeds that they have done, from the day I brought them up out of Egypt even to this day, forsaking me and serving other gods, so they are also doing to you. 9 Now then, obey their voice; only you shall solemnly warn them and show them the ways of the king who shall reign over them.” 1 Samuel 8


This is the continuation of my weekly journal as I transition to a more plant-based, whole foods diet. This week, I've had the above verse on my mind. I think so often about how we look to this program or that programs for guidance, but do we really dig deep and really grow and learn?
I've been reading alot lately on this and have run into some concern from others who feel that this means returning (yes, I did say returning) to a vegetarian or even vegan diet. There are questions in the world of Nourishing Traditions and Weston Price if a meatless diet is a valid choice. I've been reading several books regarding this as well. The China Study by T. Colin Campbell was recommended by on the Green Smoothie Girl's website and she often sites it in her videos.
I think that information is a good thing. You can't just rely on what someone one the internet says, no matter how valid the source. You can't just do like someone tells you; you really need to look at the why and the how.
So as much as I've linked, for your convenience, to the Green Smoothie Girl or Nourishing Tradition-friendly sites, I will be the first to admit that, while there is some great information and a great plan, no one has the perfect plan for me and my family.
What is right for us is, I feel, is a specific plan. I do think that we need to focus more on the fruit and vegetables with some whole grains added in. We have consciously chosen to limit meat, but not eliminate it altogether just yet.
God wants good for us all, but not necessarily the same things for each of us. I need to be paying attention to where He is leading, and not what some chick in Utah or some suit in Virginia is telling me.
I see this over and over, be it a preacher, a politician, or even a diet plan. We wrap ourselves in their philosophy and become a voice and slave to man. Like the people of Israel, we are wanting a leader or a guru to tell us what to do. It is easy to just follow someone else's plan, but is it always the right thing, is the question.
I think that it is wonderful to have a cause. I think it is good to share what we know with others, but I just encourage everyone to take that information and pray that you use it as God would wish. Educate yourself, document what you do and how it works for you, and don't give up if something isn't right for you.
So, while I am benefitting so much from eating more vegetables and fruits, I'm feeling better that I've gotten my head straightened out a bit this week as well.

No comments: