June 6, 2011

A (Not So) Green Smoothie










Morning time. I am not a breakfast person, but I realize how important it is to eat something in the morning. Yeah, I'd be quite happy with an endless supply of coffee and creamer, but that's not what's going to keep me healthy and give me the real energy I need for the day.



In light of my new green smoothie kick, I've been enjoying the Green Smoothie Girl's Hot Pink Smoothie in the mornings. You can see a demo of it here with the recipe.

The thing about green, or any other color, smoothies, is that there is so much flexibility. You really can't screw it up. It's really up to you what you use.

My variation of the original recipe is because I can't find cheap young coconuts here. Next time I head to Decatur, sure, but out in the country we aren't growing alot of them.

These are pretty much all of my ingredients. I did use just half of the beet, peeled (and saved the other half for tomorrow), 2 carrots, some frozen strawberries, 2 bananas and some cashews.







I put the half of a beet (today with tops), carrots and cashews in the blender with 2 cups (or so) of water. I blend until smooth and then add everything else and blend some more. I also add a bit of stevia to sweeten it all.



This makes about a quart so I split it with my husband for breakfast or save it for the next morning if he's wanting something more.

This is a very filling drink. You are getting 1/4 a beet, 1 carrot, 1 banana, some cashews and some berries. It fills me up until lunch, at least.

Make sure you get plenty of water to help keep all that fiber moving in the mornings.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wow! That looks amazing! I want a Vitamix SOOOO bad. My Vibram Five Fingers should be here Friday. I'm thinking seriously about going grain free for a month. This would be a great start!