June 13, 2011

Herbals....

And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. Genesis 1:29

I slacked off on my gardening the past few years, but decided this year to start slowly building back up with my herbals. Yes, some are culinary, some medicinal, and others just for the soul.
This week, I want to be a bit more thoughtful regarding herbs. You have to learn that, yeah, you can just stick it in the ground and see what happens, or you can pay attention to what your plants are telling you. You can watch and learn what they need and how they respond.
I want to remember, mainly, why I love growing things and why I started with herbs to begin with.
The thing is, for me, I wonder why I go thru the motions when I can just go buy a capsule or dried herb from a distributor? Why take the extra steps, it's not like I can grow everything I need?
The interesting thing I've found is that, while you can't grow everything, is that if you grow and cultivate what you can then so often it will provided more than you realize in more ways than you thought possible.
We get so used to the actions of pharmaceuticals and compounds that have very specific uses and broad side effects and adverse reactions that we transfer this to herbs. God made plants, like people, in such an amazing manner that it is almost impossible to know everything each herb can do. And what might work for one, might not for another. Life is a mysterious force that a lab can't replicate, and plants are alive.
So while I'm not looking at turning my home into an arboretum (hmmmm.....) I am being more focused on cultivating relationships with more plants, and learning about the wild ones that live near me.

No comments: