May 25, 2011

Putting it all Together

I've often been asked how to get started with eating healthy, or what changes people should make to 'eat better'.
I have a really hard time with questions like these as there are so many places to start with so many possible places you can end up. What might be necessesary and good for me, might not be right for all. So in the world of gluten-, dairy-, sugar- and meat-free diets what really is the best way to start?
I'm actually a pretty healthy eater. I do the whole foods, grind grain, and grow a garden. We buy organic, grass-fed meat and tend to avoid the rest. But sometimes you do something so long that you forget what your initial point was. You become comfortable in where you are and let the little things slide.
I'm also fairly educated in nutrition. I have studied it, and even have a degree in it.

BUT
I am willing to admit that I don't know it all.
I also know that I'm not always good with the details, but see the big picture.
I'm also a finicky eater, believe it or not. I've done my best to raise kids who aren't, and have the best husband ever who enjoys whatever food he is given.

So... I found a plan that I think is amazing. The Green Smoothie Girl's 12 Step Plan.
I love her plan for so many reasons. Mainly because she seems to really want to help people change their lives and health. Yeah, it's her job/business, but she offers so many free resources thru her website and on youtube. I appreciate the free stuff as it motivates me to want to see more.
I am loving her 12 Step Program for its simplicity and what it encompasses.
The 12 Step Program can be gotten by the piece, so it isn't all or nothing as far as price.
I had already bought the book, Green Smoothie's Diet, which is full of the why's and how's of green smoothies, and I felt like I needed more.
This was my reason for getting the 12 Step Program. I didn't want a diet plan, but a life plan.
I ended up getting her download without the book for under $40. It is worth this price and more.
I don't know that I 'need' the whole program as I know most of the skills she teaches and put into the plan. I mainly wanted a conscious reminder of all of the why's and to get me back on track. I'm fairly experienced at baking bread, grinding grain, making my own yogurt and kefir and the like. If you aren't you might want to check out the whole plan though.

So, was I really far off track?
Let me just put it this way. I was a vegetarian thru most of the 1990s. BUT! I didn't eat alot of vegetables. I lived on beans and tortillas. I ate pizza. I went out of my way for vegetarian junk food. There were very few vegetables in my diet.

Flash forward to now, and I realize that I still have an aversion to most vegetables, and don't really care for fruits (I'd gotten scared with all the low-carb stuff). But I know I need them.
I also don't have the time or inclination to do a ton of cooking, but I can throw them in a blender and get 15 servings a day. I was eating healthy, but it was protein heavy with whole grains. I also admit to a wicked diet pepsi addiction as well.

I think this is the most amazing point for me. Green smoothies so easy that I feel stupid for not doing this years ago. I've also found that after eating that many servings of vegetables, I'm miraculously (ta-da) not that hungry otherwise. So it seems a win-win that we are eating a ton of greens.

So here I am in a place I never thought I'd be... transitioning to a mostly raw, vegetarian diet where vegetables actually are the star.
I might not just be starting the whole foods journey, but it has been a life-saver for me in where I am now in mine.

No comments: