May 21, 2011

Old Friends

I have to admit that I suck as a friend. I'm overbearing and high maintenance one day, and then the next my attention is diverted and I'm nowhere to be found.
I don't know that I even have anyone I'd consider to be an old friend anymore. I've met a ton of people in my life, but, in my constant push to move forward, I often end up leaving them behind.

I've recently reconnected with 2 old friends. Not via facebook, thank goodness, but sitting on the bottom of my bookshelf.
They would be Mollie Katzen and Laurel Robertson.

I met them both, via their books, in the early 90s when I was doing the whole vegetarian thing. They taught me about nutrition, how to bake bread (and some really yummy cookies too) and about how you can eat well and fully without meat.

I was vegetarian for most of the 90s until I became pregnant. Maybe I'm just slow at recovering as my younger child is 8, but I'm just now feeling like my body is recovered and ready to move on.

So as things change, I'm not completely sure of where I'll end up. I'm loving the green smoothies, and feel the need to lighten up a bit. I've also learned alot in the past 5-10 years and am sorting thru where I need to be. I don't want to get so wrapped up in food, but at the same time, I believe that there is so much love in food.

I do remember a vegetarian friend and mentor way back joked at my The New Laurel's Kitchen book as hers was the original, but the "new" version from 1986 is still very much a classic.
And for anything you ever wanted to know about whole grain bread her Bread Book is the gold standard.
Mollie has several wonderful books that I just love to read thru. Her Moosewood cookbook is classic, but I also love Vegetable Heaven.

Just tonight we dined with them both. Hopefully I'll be a better friend in the future....

1 comment:

Beth Wagenius said...

finally found it! I knew you had a blog post on here with some vegan cookbooks. Took me a bit but I found them. They look good Thanks!